Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Blog #4

This weeks blog was asking us to listen to our favorite radio station for an hour and basically analyze what we heard in general. Well, my favorite radio station is the HOT 102.7, formerly 105.9 JAMZ. Well, for those who don’t know, HOT 102.7 is pretty much your typical Hip Hop/ R&B music station. The reason I chose that station in particular is because they usually have a better selections of late night play lists in my opinion. That said, we were specifically asked to comment on what kind of music we listen to, what is the target audience, and what we could say about the ads that played during the airtime. Well, first of all I cant say that the music I listen to is primarily rap/hip hop; but as said before do have an open heart and will listen to anything that is good in my mind. I try not to discriminate to any kind of genre, because if something is good, no matter how cheesy or lame it might be to someone I will still listen and admit to liking it. I did not like all of the songs playing during my listening period, but I did find that the DJ was doing an excellent job of mixing the tracks and keeping the sound fresh. I believe that the target audience of the broadcast was a urban one, particularly of the Metro Detroit area, because they were broadcasting live from a club in downtown Detroit. Obviously, Hip Hop is associated with the younger generation, and this time of listening was no difference. The ads also mirrored the atmosphere of the production. There were a lot of fast food commercials, as well as a lot of commercials that were promoting an event or club or something of the sort. Well that was my blog, sorry to any of the readers who had to suffer through that!

3 comments:

LaMeisha said...

I like 105.9 smooth Jams. They keep me in a mellow mood when I'm mad or trying to just chill out! I also Like 102.7 station. They always seem to keep you moving when I'm trying to get homework done or clean up.

Sami said...

In general with all radio stations I noticed that they have a better play list at night than the day. Its seams that they like to experiment with new music then.

Nancy said...

Why might this music appeal to an urban audience rather than a suburban one?